Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, June 28, 2020

like a little child

Opening Prayer: Teach us, Lord Jesus, what it means to become like little children.  It is not easy for us to do, for we have forgotten what it’s like.  Remind us.  Have mercy on us.  Lead and guide us.  Amen.  

Scripture: Matthew 18:1-4

Journal: What does it mean for you to become like a little child?

Reflection: So let me see if I’ve got this straight, Jesus tells the guys he is grooming to be the leaders of the church after he is gone, the guys who are currently arguing over who is going to be greatest in that kingdom, the guys that seem most concerned with power and position and privilege, that they must “become like little children” in order to even enter the kingdom of heaven, much less lead others in that direction.  Is that right?
     That must mean that spiritual leadership is much different than what we typically think it is.  Spiritual leadership is not about making things happen, but about making space so that they can.  It is not about control and direction, but about service and sacrifice.  It is not about position and prestige, but about and cooperation and community.  It is not about taking up all of the space, but making space for others to express their gift and talents and abilities.  At its core, spiritual leadership actually involves taking off the hat of expert or guru, in order to simply sit with people in wonder and laughter and holy curiosity, as we consider what God is up to.  It does not mean predetermining who people need to be or how things need to go or what things have to look like.  It does not mean manipulating, judging, or fixing.  It simply means being open to God…together.  That is true spiritual leadership. 

Prayer

Closing Prayer: My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty.  I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore. (Psalm 131:1-3)


No comments:

Post a Comment