Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, March 6, 2020

a do-over

Opening Prayer:  Forgive me, Lord Jesus, when I am controlled by my own need for approval or affection, rather than by your Spirit and your love.  Make me prayerful and watchful and thankful, so I can be the best version of myself (that beautiful, God-breathed self) to those who cross my path.  Amen. 

Scripture: Colossians 4:2-6

Journal: When was the last time you wished you could have a do-over in ministry?  What would you do or say differently?  How would you be different in the midst of the situation or relationship?  What does it look like to be prayerful and watchful and thankful?  How does that change the way you respond to a situation?  How will you be different the next time?

Reflection: Did you ever wish you could have a do-over? You know, like when you get to the end of a conversation or an event and you think, "I really missed it there." As a matter of fact, in your desire to be helpful—to whoever it was that you were speaking to or sitting with—you were actually anything but that.  The desire was a wonderful thing, and came from a beautiful place, but it actually kept you from creating the space for them to be.  For some reason you talked a little too much and listened a little too little, so that the time became more about you than about them.  So, you look back and long for another chance, not for your sake but for theirs.  Because what they were really looking for and hoping for was just someone to be with them; and your misguided desire kept you from being able to do that.  Luckily God is big enough to use even our bumbling and our fumbling to accomplish His purposes.  I guess that’s some consolation, huh?  Plus the fact that next time, I’ll know better…I hope. (Pieces by Jim Branch)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Pray diligently.  Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude.  Don’t forget to pray for us, that God will open doors for telling the mystery of Christ, even while I’m locked up in this jail.  Pray that every time I open my mouth I’ll be able to make Christ plain as day to them.
     Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders.  Don’t miss a trick.  Make the most of every opportunity.  Be gracious in your speech.  The goal is to bring out the best in others in conversation, not put them down, not cut them out. (Colossians 4:2-6, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment