Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, January 13, 2020

from he to you

Opening Prayer: Draw me, O God, into your great heart of love today, that I might know your love and your presence and your nearness and your provision and your peace and your comfort in a wonderfully intimate way.  Amen.

Scripture: Psalm 23:1-6

Journal: How does this Psalm invite you into deeper intimacy with God?  How does it encourage you to move from talking about God to talking to God?

Reflection: The true movement of prayer is always one toward deeper and deeper intimacy.  The more we pray, the more we are drawn into the very heart of the One who knows us best and loves us most.
     This spiritual dynamic is on full display in one of the best known prayers of all time—the 23rd Psalm.  This infamous prayer begins by revealing truth after truth about who God really is, but in the middle of the Psalm it takes a subtle, yet remarkable turn.  David, a shepherd himself, shifts from using the word he to using the word you.  David moves from simply talking about God, to actually talking to God, and invites us to do the same.
     And it is certainly no accident that this shift takes place just as David is talking about “walking through the valley of the shadow of death.”  For it is in the darkest valley that we need to not only know truths about God, but we need to experience the nearness and the presence and the care and the comfort of God personally. 

Prayer

Closing Prayer: I love you, O my God; and I desire to love you more and more. Grant to me that I may love you as much as I desire, and as much as I ought. O dearest Friend, who has loved and saved me, the thought of whom is so sweet and always growing sweeter, watch over my lips, my steps, my deeds, and I shall not need to be anxious either for my soul or my body. Give me love, sweetest of all gifts, which knows no enemy. Give me in my heart pure love, born of your love to me, that I may love others as you love me. O most loving Father of Jesus Christ, from whom flows all love, let my heart, frozen in sin, cold to you and cold to others, be warmed by this divine fire. So help and bless me in your Son. Amen.  ~St. Anselm

No comments:

Post a Comment