Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, August 4, 2017

practice

Opening Prayer: Late have I loved you, O Beauty, so ancient and so new, late have I loved you!  And behold, you were within me and I was outside, and there I sought for you, and in my deformity I rushed headlong into the well-formed things that you have made.  You were with me, and I was not with you. ~St. Augustine

Scripture: 1 Timothy 4:7-8

Journal: What specific ways are you training yourself each day for the purpose of godliness?

Reflection: So while I write to teach, to add to our knowledge, my ultimate aim is to change our practice radically.  This book is a plea for the Christian community to place the disciplines for the spiritual life at the heart of the gospel.  When we call men and women to life in Christ Jesus, we are offering them the greatest opportunity of their lives—the opportunity of a vivid companionship with him, in which they will learn to be like him and live as he lived.  This is the “transforming friendship” explained by Leslie Weatherhead.  We meet and dwell with Jesus and his Father in the disciplines for the spiritual life.
     Our meeting place, the disciplines are part of the good news of new life.  We should practice them and then invite others to join us there.
     I want us to take the disciplines that seriously.  I want to inspire Christianity today to remove the disciplines from the category of historical curiosities and place them at the center of the new life in Christ.  Only when we do, can Christ’s community take its stand at the present point of history.  Our local assemblies must become academies of life as it was meant to be. (The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: 
I ask you, Lord Jesus,
to develop in me, your lover
an immeasurable urge towards you,
an affection that is unbounded,
longing that is unrestrained,
fervor that throws discretion to the winds!
The more worthwhile our love for you,
            all the more pressing does it become.
Reason cannot hold it in check,
            fear does not make it tremble,
            wise judgment does not temper it.
The Fire of Love by Richard Rolle

No comments:

Post a Comment