Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, June 2, 2017

your story

Opening Prayer: Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south. (Psalm 107:1-3, ESV)

Scripture: Psalm 107:1-43

Journal:  What is your story with God these days?  What is God up to deep within you?

Reflection: "Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story. . ." (Psalm 107:2, The Message)

All prayer is prayed in a story, by someone who is in the story. ~Eugene Peterson

"They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven." (Psalm 107:30)

     Somehow it seems like I am always able to find my story in the stories of Psalm 107.  In this case, God allowed me to take a step back and look at the story of the past six years.  That's right, it has been six years since this particular leg of our journey began.  At this time, six years ago, we were in the midst of a huge transition from 18 wonderful years on the Young Life staff, to the next thing (whatever it may be).  In the midst of the turmoil and uncertainty of those days, I could never have imagined the beautiful work that God was doing at the time.  Now, six years later, it is much easier to see.  And to tell you the truth, when I think about it, it's really overwhelming.  I cannot imagine being in a place that is a better expression of how God has wired me and who he has made me to be.  The things I get to do and the people I have the privilege of being with are so incredible.  I even have the wonderful privilege of still getting to do a lot of things with Young Life; things that I wouldn't have had time and space to do in my old role.  Pretty amazing.
     As I think back on it all, I probably would not choose to go through that painful process again, but I would definitely not trade the destination.  Isn't that the way it so often is in this life?  What a lesson; one that we all know by heart.  The very best things that God does within us, often come from the times that were most difficult for us.  Psalm 107 is exhibit A.  I can think of no better words to describe life for us these days than, "He guided them to their desired haven."  Indeed he has!  And we are so grateful!  Grateful to him, and grateful for you and the role each and every one of you has played in that process over the past six years.  Here's to the next six!  God definitely knows what he is doing. Thanks be to him! "Let us give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men." (Psalm 107:8, 15, 21, 31)

Whoever is wise, let him heed these things and consider the great love of the Lord." (Psalm 107:43)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Thank you, O God, for the ways you lead and guide.  The process, at times, can be really painful, but the destination is always oh so good.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment