Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

the life of his messenger

Opening Prayer: Let no cost be too great, O God, for us to continually proclaim your message to all those living and working in your vineyard, regardless of their response.  For the sake of your kingdom and your glory we pray.  Amen.

Scripture: Mark 12:1-12

Journal: What is the message God has given you to proclaim?  Are you proclaiming it?  What has being a messenger cost you?  What does that tell you?

Reflection: “Don’t shoot the messenger,” the old saying goes.  But, in reality, that is often exactly what happens.  The life of a messenger is not an easy one, especially where the kingdom of God is concerned.  Because when the message that is given requires a lot from those to whom it is given, the result is often rejection.  Therefore, being a messenger can be quite costly.  Just ask the messengers sent to those working in the vineyard.  It can even cost you your life. 
     That is, of course, unless you try to water down the message to make it more acceptable to its recipients.  Jesus himself warned us that the message of the gospel was costly, that it would require everything of us (Luke 14:25-33).  He also warned us that if we are truly proclaiming his message and his kingdom, it would actually divide rather than unite (Luke 12:49-53).  Therefore, the life of a messenger is not likely to be an easy one.  He, or she, is not likely to win any popularity contests.
     Therefore, maybe I should begin asking myself some serious questions.  What is the message that my life and my lips proclaim?  Is it truly the message of Jesus?  What has being his messenger really cost me?  And if it has cost me little, or nothing, am I really proclaiming the message of Jesus, or simply one of my own creation?  Because if I am truly proclaiming his gospel, I am likely to get attacked in one way or another.   

Prayer

Closing Prayer:  Lord Jesus, I confess that all too often I want to be popular and accepted and well-received more than I want to be your messenger.  And when I do this, I sacrifice the radical nature of your message for the acceptance of those to whom the message is given.  Jesus, help me to be true to you, and to your message, regardless of what it may cost.  After all, it is all for your kingdom and your glory.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment