Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Monday, February 22, 2016

temptation, monday

Monday, February 22

Opening Prayer: Lead us not into temptation, O Lord, but deliver us from evil.  For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.  Amen.
 
Scripture: Matthew 4:1-4

Journal: What do you try to feed on other than God?

Reflection:
 
     One of the first temptations we come across in this life of faith, it seems, is the temptation to feed ourselves.  Or, more specifically, the temptation to feed on something that was never intended to be food in the first place.  I don’t know about you, but I tend to feed on so many things other than Jesus, so many things that were never intended to be the food my soul most deeply longs for.  For instance, I feed on affirmation, I feed on achievement, I feed on attention, I feed on applause, I feed on reputation; the list just goes on and on. 
     God desires me to feed only on him, for then, and only then, will I be able to love those he has called me to love without feeding on them.  Therefore, when I am hungry in the depths of my soul; when I am starving to be loved, or to be cared for, or to be noticed, or to be affirmed, I really need to be careful.  The enemy is very subtle, and before I know it, I will stop feeding on Jesus and start feeding on the very people Jesus has called me to feed.  And the kicker is that I might never know the difference until it's almost too late; until my soul is near death, until I am starving for the bread I was truly created to eat (see John 6:48-51), and until those that I have been called to feed have been devoured and have also devoured me in the process, in one gigantic dysfunctional feeding frenzy.
     "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread."  Or, in others words, "Make something food that was never intended to be food.  Take matters into your own hands.  Feed yourself.  Be self-sufficient.  After all, you're hungry.  You've got a right to care for your own needs."  It is a familiar mindset in our world.  One that is even applauded and held up as an inspiration and an example of character and strength. 
     But Jesus knew better.  “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” he replied.  And a beautiful reply it is.  Almost as if to say, "I will feed on nothing, or no one, other than God.  It is on him alone that I will feed."  O Lord Jesus, Bread of Life, help us to feed on you and you alone.  For man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Prayer

Closing Prayer: O Lord Jesus, Bread of Life, help us to feed on you and you alone.  For man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment