Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, July 15, 2012

spaciousness, day 7

Come to Stillness:
Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
Teach me, God to make room for you in all the events and affairs of my days. Then I shall find rest. Then I will be at peace with myself and with you. (Norman Shawchuck in A Guide To Prayer for All Who Seek God)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 18

Scripture for the Day: Psalm 37:1-11

Reading for Reflection:

“Think glorious thoughts of God—and serve Him with a quiet mind!”  And it is surely a fact that the more glorious and more spacious our thoughts of Him are, the greater the quietude and confidence with which we do our detailed work will be.  Not controversial thoughts, or narrow conventional thoughts, or dry academic thoughts, or anxious worried thoughts.  All these bring contraction instead of expansion to our souls; and we all know that this inner sense of contraction or expansion is the unfailing test of our spiritual state.  (The House of the Soul and Concerning the Inner Life by Evelyn Underhill)

     Our journey toward abundant living is like walking a spiritual labyrinth repeatedly, from and ever deepening inner space.  We walk toward the center to be transformed by God’s love; then we walk outward to transform our small space in the world by reflecting God’s love.  There is no intention to trick us or get us lost along the journey.  But there is mystery.  Always mystery.  And awe.  And amazing grace. (Abundance by Marilyn Brown Oden)


Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: How Deep the Father’s Love for Us


            How deep the Father's love for us
            How vast beyond all measure
            That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Closing Prayer:
O Lord, the house of my soul is too small for you to enter: make it more spacious by your coming.

                                                                                       ~St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment