Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, December 2, 2012

attention, day 1

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:
Lord, I ask for the grace to let go of my own concerns and be open to what you are asking of me, to let myself be guided and formed by my loving Creator. (Sacred Space: the Prayer Book 2010 by Jesuit Communication Centre)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 130

Scripture for the Day: Luke 12:35-40

Reading for Reflection:
 
     It will be up to us to prepare for the Night of the Child, to prepare the way of the Lord, to make straight the paths.  It will be up to us to make a journey of sorts toward Bethlehem, to spend some time listening to the story as it weaves its way through Advent.  We are the ones who must make room in our hearts for the story to speak, who must listen carefully to its twists and its turns, listening for the places where it begins to tell us our own story.
     The season will be full of stories, of family and friends, of Christmases long ago, of memories and hopes and half-forgotten days gone by.  And in the midst of them, we must take care that we do not neglect the telling of the story.  We must be present to its telling, if we hope for it to touch our hearts.  We are the ones who must ponder in our hearts what all of this has to teach us about the Story of us all.
     It will be up to us to leave our flocks unattended for a while.  It will fall to us to manage our time and our energy and our calendars and our schedules.  We are the ones who must make sure that there is a place and the time to be silent and thoughtful, to rest and contemplate.  We are the ones who must seek out the time to prepare our hearts and minds for the coming of the Night of the Child. (Night of the Child by Robert Benson)
 

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: O Come, O Come, Emanuel
 
O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here,
Until the Son of God appear.
 
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
O come, thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell thy people save,
And give them vict’ry o’er the grave.
 
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
 
O come, thou Dayspring come and cheer
Our spirits by thy justice here.
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.
 
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
 
O come, thou Key of David, come
And open wide our heav’nly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.
 
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel
 
Closing Prayer
My God, since You are with me, and since it is Your will that I should apply my mind to these outward things, I pray that You will give me the grace to remain with You and keep company with You.  But so that my work may be better, Lord, work with me; receive my work and possess all my affections. (The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence)

No comments:

Post a Comment