Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

temptation, wednesday

Wednesday, February 24

Opening Prayer: Lord Jesus, forgive us when we succumb to the temptation to take the easy way out, to try to come to you yet avoid the high cost you being fully yours.  Forgive us when we worship and serve the things of this world rather than the One who made them.  Help us, O Lord, at all times and in all ways, to worship you and you alone.  Amen.

Scripture: Matthew 4:8-11

Journal: Who or what are you really worshipping these days?  How can you tell?  What are you truly pursuing in life these days?  What is getting the majority of your time and energy?  What does that tell you?

Reflection:
 
     Why should I want to be rich, when You were poor?  Why should I desire to be famous and powerful in the eyes of men, when the sons of those who exalted the false prophets and stoned the true rejected You and nailed You to the Cross?  Why should I cherish in my heart a hope that devours me—the hope for perfect happiness in this life—when such hope, doomed to frustration, is nothing but despair?
     My hope is in what eye has never seen.  Therefore, let me not trust in visible rewards.  My hope is in what the heart of man cannot feel.  Therefore, let me not trust in the feelings of the heart.  My hope is in what the hand of man has never touched.  Do not let me trust what I can grasp between my fingers.  Death will loosen my grasp and my vain hope will be gone.
     Let my trust be in Your mercy, not myself.  Let my hope be in Your love, not in health, or strength, or ability, or human resources. (Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: Let my trust, O Lord, be in Your mercy, not myself.  Let my hope be in Your love, not in health, or strength, or ability, or human resources.  Help me to worship You, O lord, and You alone.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment