Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, December 20, 2015

he is coming, sunday

Sunday, December 20

Opening Prayer: O Holy Spirit of God, visit now this soul of mine, and tarry within it until eventide.  Pervade all my imaginations.  Suggest all my decisions.  Lodge in my will’s most inward citadel and order all my doings.  Be with me in silence and in my speech, in my haste and in my leisure, in company and in solitude, in the freshness of the morning and in the weariness of the evening; and give me grace at all times to rejoice in thy mysterious companionship. (A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie)

Scripture: Malachi 3:1-4

Journal: What do the images of a refiner’s fire and fullers’ soap do within you?  How do they speak to your life or heart right now?  How do those images make you feel about his coming?  How do they disturb you?  How do they inspire you?

Reflection:
 
There are many avenues of attraction to God.  Some are drawn to him through his beauty, others to his peace, and still others are attracted by his power.  Most men find themselves drawn to God as the source and wellspring of the very meaning of life, the ultimate ground of human existence.  But it may be that the first motion of God within the believer-to-be is one of disturbance.  Sometimes we forget that God comes to us, not only to give us peace but also to disturb us.  He comforts the afflicted and he afflicts the comfortable. (A Reason to Live!  A Reason to Die! By John Powell)

Prayer

Closing Prayer: O Lord, who can endure the day of your coming?  Who can stand when you appear?  In the midst of this season of angels and shepherds and mangers and wise men, let us never forget exactly who it is that is entering our world; the King of kings and the Lord of lords.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment