Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, December 19, 2014

yes, friday

Friday, December 19

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.
         
Opening Prayer: Yes, Father!  Yes!  And always Yes!
                                                                          ~Francis de Sales

Scripture Reading for the Day: John 1:4-13

Reading for Reflection:
 
     I've been thinking a lot about darkness and light the past few days.  In fact, I have been becoming more keenly aware of the darkness that lives within me.  Most often it takes the form of fear, insecurity, anxiety and depression.  It can take me quickly right down into the pit of despair and it is so deep at times that it actually seems like a part of my DNA.  In fact, when it takes hold of me it seems almost impossible to be able to overcome its grip, much less consider the possibility of being free of it completely.  That can leave me in a very dark and helpless place. 
     I think that’s one of the reasons I like Advent so much, because it’s a season of hope.  Advent promises that it is actually into the midst of my darkness that the light will come.  I do not have to eliminate the darkness within me—which would seem an impossible task anyway—all I have to do is simply wait and watch for the coming of the Light.  He will come, and when he does the darkness will not be able to overcome Him.  So shine on me, O Light.  Come into my darkness and illumine my night with your life and love and peace.  Come, O Light of God!  Come, Lord Jesus!

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
     
       
Closing Prayer:
Come, thou long expected Jesus
Born to set thy people free
From our fears and sins release us
Let us find our rest in thee
Israel’s strength and consolation
Hope of all the earth thou art
Dear desire of every nation
Joy of every longing heart

No comments:

Post a Comment