Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Sunday, September 14, 2014

our identity in Christ, sunday

Sunday, September 14

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer: O God, our Heavenly Father, who created us beautifully and wonderfully, may we always look to You for our value and worth, remembering that we are a unique expression of your infinite love, care, and creativity.  Help us, O Lord, to see ourselves as you see us in Christ—objects of your extravagant love and tender affection.  Amen.
          
Scripture Reading for the Day: Isaiah 62:1-12

Reading for reflection:
 
You will be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. (Isaiah 62:2)

     Israel had forgotten her name (Isaiah 62), forgotten who she truly was, so God comes to her.  It is almost as if he could not stay away.  His heart would not allow him to be silent any longer, so he speaks to his people and reminds them of who they are and calls them by their true name. 
     “Your name is not Desolate, the name of your land is not Deserted.  You are not worthless and unloved, you are mine.  You are My Delight and have immeasurable value to me.  You are like a crown of splendor in my hand, something worthy of adorning the head of the King of Kings.  I look at you with a heart more full of love than you will ever know.  In fact, I look at you with more love and desire than that of a bridegroom as he looks at his new bride coming down the aisle. You are so beautiful to me, and I love you more than you could hope for in your wildest dreams.  You mean so much to me that I have a special name picked out for you; one that I will give you when we are together forever in Paradise.  But for now, know that I call you Holy People, Redeemed of the Lord.  I call you Sought After.” 
     And so it is for each of us.  Our world has made us forget who we really are (in Christ) and has made us believe we are something far less than we were intended to be.  Therefore, God comes to us and speaks, and reminds us of our true value, our true identity.  We must be very careful to listen to his voice, for he is offering us an incredible gift; one that we must take hold of and make our own; one that we must receive.  It is the gift of a new name. 
     Isn’t that amazing!  The God of all creation has a name that he has picked out especially for you.  God has a pet name for you.  And when he whispers it in your ear, it will make your soul stand on tiptoe as never before.  It will cause your insides—and most likely your outsides too—to leap for joy in a way that you never have before.  When you hear that name it will cause a “Yes!” to well up from deep within you.  So, by all means, wait in eager expectation, pay careful attention, watch and listen attentively, and receive the incredible name God bestows on each of his children. (Becoming by Jim Branch)

Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself
                     
Closing Prayer:
Dear Jesus,
     Who am I really?  What do you see in me that you would move heaven and earth to capture my heart?  My life feels like a collection of other people’s expectations and disappointments.  I do not even know anymore who I truly am.  Reveal to me my true identity, my true place in Your story.  Give me grace to hear your voice; shut out all other voices, and let me hear from you alone.  I ask this in your name.  Amen. (The Sacred Romance Workbook by John Eldredge)

No comments:

Post a Comment