Featured Post

the blue book is now available on amazon

Exciting news!   The Blue Book is now available on Amazon! And not only that, but it also has a bunch of new content!  I've been work...

Friday, May 3, 2013

give your life away, day 5

Come to Stillness: Take a few minutes to allow your mind and heart to be still before God.

Opening Prayer:

Dear Jesus,
     Help me to realize the many voices of hunger, the many sounds of thirst, the many cries of loneliness, the many callings of sickness and nakedness and imprisonment.  Help me to hear in all of them something of You calling to me to become more than I am.  More understanding.  More compassionate.  More involved.  More like You. (Reflections on the Word by Ken Gire)

Psalm for the Week: Psalm 82

Scripture for the Day: Luke 15:1-7


Reading for Reflection: 


I gaze lovingly at my dinner plate filled with gifts from the earth.  I am touched, overwhelmed at the truth that everything I eat has in some way had to die so I could live.  It is the way of the earth, and I do not completely understand it.  Ponder over the truth for a while.  It may bring tears to your eyes.  And if it does, I encourage you to welcome them.  They could be healing.
     I gaze more lovingly still.  Gratitude overflows!  I ask my heart a hard question:  What is it in me that must die before I can truly give life to others? (Seasons of the Heart by Macrina Wiederkehr)


Reflection and Listening: silent and written

Prayer: for the church, for others, for myself

Song for the Week: For All the Saints
 
For all the saints, who from their labors rest,
who thee by faith before the world confessed,
thy name, O Jesus, be forever blest.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

Thou wast their rock, their fortress, and their might;
thou Lord, their captain in the well-fought fight;
thou in the darkness drear, their one true light.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

O may thy soldiers, faithful, true, and bold,
fight as the saints who nobly fought of old,
and win with them the victor's crown of gold.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
yet all are one in thee, for all are thine.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

And when the strife is fierce, the warfare long,
steals on the ear the distant triumph song,
and hearts are brave again, and arms are strong.
Alleluia, Alleluia!

From earth's wide bounds, from ocean's farthest coast,
through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
singing to Father, Son, and Holy Ghost:
Alleluia, Alleluia!
 
 
Closing Prayer:
Go forth now as God’s servant.  Remember God’s presence often and draw strength from the knowledge that the One who calls and sends also sustains.  Amen. (A Guide to Prayer by Rueben P. Job and Norman Shawchuck)

No comments:

Post a Comment